Recover your MS Office 2011 files on Mac
Microsoft Office is not an unknown name or tool-suite. Most computer users today use one or more of this suite's programs for their everyday tasks. Such is the hold and user-friendliness of MS Office that Word, Excel and PowerPoint have become household names. However, MS Office and its user base share a love-hate relationship. If the tools are praised for their sheer utility, some unattended aspects have accumulated criticism worldwide too. But, over the years, Microsoft has worked beautifully to revive from such bad publicity by offering features, which help users to achieve what they could not earlier. In this discussion we will be highlighting one such scenario, that is, the loss of MS Office files on Mac and their recovery.
Before proceeding, a brief overview of Office for Mac wouldn't hurt. Most Windows users would be aware that Office for Windows includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, Access, Groove and other tools. In contrast, Office for Mac includes 5 of the most frequently used tools, namely, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and OneNote. Some of the shiny new features of Office 2011 for Mac include:
Office Online: Allows users to access their documents stored on Windows Live OneDrive from anywhere. All you need are login credentials. Edit your documents and presentations online from any computer at any location.
Coauthoring: Allows users to work in real-time with other authors on common documents. Video chats and sharing documents while coauthoring documents makes working fun and easy.
Ribbon: The Mac ribbon and toolbar have been combined to enable users to work faster and with advanced options which adapt automatically to match the application being used.
Photo Editing: A variety of media editing options have been included in Office 2011. These include in-document photo finishing, color-corrections, background removal etc.
Broadcast Slideshow: Presenting data to multiple people on diverse locations was never easier. Webcast support in Office 2011 requires minimal startup time and no special supporting software.
Office 2011 has many more interesting facets apart from these brilliant features, but they're competent to form the focus of another discussion. Let us move on to our point, losing Office files on Mac and their recovery.
Loss of MS Office files
Many a times while working, your Mac can experience problems such as an OS crash, power running out or a freeze. If for any of these reasons, your Mac shuts down unexpectedly, whatever work you were doing would get lost if you didn't save it.
Here are the most common situations in which you can lose an MS Office file:
- Accidental deletion while deleting some other files (usually due to a select all command)
- Formatting of a hard drive containing the files
- Upgrading the OS version
- Power failure while working when you've not saved the file
- Corruption resulting from a virus attack
- Sometimes, transferring office files to external media can also result in file corruption
Recovering MS Office Files using Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery
As dreaded as that may seem, there is actually no need to panic in any such a situation. There are quite a few excellent software available online to help you out with the recovery of lost, damaged or deleted MS Office files. Once such powerful tool is Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery . This software successfully recovers lost data from iMac, MacBook Pro, Air, Mac Pro and Mac Mini. Some salient features of this tool are as follows:
- Recovers all deleted files with their original file names
- Enables RAW data recovery from the entire Mac hard drive
- Safe data recovery from NTFS-based Boot Camp Partitions
- Compatible with the latest OS X Yosemite
- Helps to reclaim files, documents, images, music, movies lost or deleted from any HFS, HFS+, FAT, ExFAT and NTFS file system based storage media
Now let us look at the steps to recover lost MS Office files using this software.
- Download and install Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery software.
- Run the software. You will see a window with five options:
- Drive Recovery
- Photo Recovery
- CD/DVD Recovery
- iPod Recovery
- Raw Recovery
- The Drive Recovery option will be selected by default. Since you want to recover lost or deleted MS Office files, this option is suitable for you. Under this option you will be given 4 further options:
- Quick Recovery
- Deleted Recovery
- Formatted Media/Lost File Recovery
- Search Lost/Deleted Volumes
- The most options for you will be “Deleted Recovery” which helps in recovering accidentally deleted files and “Formatted Media/Lost File Recovery” which helps in recovering files lost due to formatting or any other reason. Select the suitable option by clicking on it.
- Another window will appear where you will be asked which Mac volume you want to scan to find lost or deleted files. Select the appropriate volume and click on “Scan”.
- All recoverable files are displayed in the left pane of the software window. Select the files you want to recover and click on “Recover” button below.
Using this software all the recovered files can also be saved at user specified location.
Wrapping it Up
A good idea to be safe is to keep saving your work every few minutes so that you don't need to get into any hassle in the first place. However, it is good to know that if need be, there are dedicated data recovery software to help people out.